Thursday 9 May 2013

DIY - Scrapbusters felt bookmark.

This one is so simple that it's a good one for the kids to do. When I made my flower brooches I had such awkward amounts of felt left. Was I going to waste it? Of course not! So I came up with a super simple and cute way of using those scraps.

You need: felt, scissors, needle and thread, and a ruler (optional). You could also use some optional decorative elements such as beads if you wish. Sorry for the lack of picture at this stage, I was so eager to get started that I didn't pause to take one, duh!

Step 1: Fold the felt corner to corner.

Step 2: Measure the bottom edge. This one came to exactly 5cm. you want to make a square so after taking the measurement, measure the same length upwards and cut.


Step 3: fold the square in half diagonally.

Step 4: With the folded edge along the bottom, cut a rounded corner so that it looks like half a heart.


When it's opened out it should look like this:

Step 5: fold the heart together, and sew along the straight edge.

And that is the full extent of what you need to do. Anything beyond this point is purely decorative. I added stitching around the entire outline to give it a more coherent look.

If you are going to do this just remember that you MUST NOT SEW THE HEART SHUT! It must remain open to be able to slip over the corner of the page. You can do as much or as little as you like to it from this point, but I chose to keep it simple and prefer that rustic look.



Easy peasy!

Total cost: £0.00 (because it was made using scraps)
Total time spent: less then 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment