Sunday 14 April 2013

Treasure! (plus a super simple DIY)

Yesterday was a joyful day! My Mum allowed me to raid her button stash and I was not dissappointed! Who doesn't love something shiny, and vintage, and free?!


So delighted was I after my treasure hunt that I couldn't resist coming home and making something right away.

I felt inspired by these funky little guys:

I don't know if it was because of their bright colours, but something about them spoke to me.

So, for today's DIY, you will need: Two quirky buttons, a pair of earring blanks, strong glue, and something to cut off the back of the buttons (I used pliers as it's all I have, but if you have jewelry nippers they would probably be a better choice).

My reason for not going out and buying jewelry nippers? I DON'T NEED THEM! Honestly, the number of times I've seen someone rush out and spend good money on a piece of kit when something that they already have at home would work just as well drives me crazy!

Step 1: Clip off the shanks from the backs of your buttons.

If you are using pliers, I then recommend filing the back of the button down a little to make it flat. Repeatedly rubbing over this part of the pliers...

..does the job just fine! Again, no fancy tools needed.

Step 2: Apply glue to the backs of the buttons and glue on your earring blanks.

Step 3: Allow to dry.

This is probably the easiest thing I've ever made, and the look super cute!


Total cost: 45p for earring blanks.
Total time spent: 5minutes + drying time.


No comments:

Post a Comment