Monday 25 March 2013

DIY - Scrapbusters Chapstick Snuggie

I detest the cold! I hate having to wear layers, I hate that skirts are virtually out of the question, and I hate it when the wind chaps my lips. There is however, a simple solution to the last problem, chapstick. But, if you're anything like me, there are two main chapstick issues. 1) It lays forgotten in my nightstand drawer. A LOT. 2) When I eventually do remember to bring it out with me, it rolls around in the cavernous pit that I call a handbag and can never be found when it's needed. Today, I present a solution to both of those problems: the keyring chapstick snuggie! Other reasons I loved this project is that it used up a scrap of fabric that it was difficult to find a use for, and also, I had all of the components already at hand, so it cost me nothing!

You will need: A scrap of fabric measuring approximately 22cm x 7cm, a needle and thread, a keyring, a popper, and a button (optional and not pictured as it was a last-minute judgement call).

Step 1: Fold over your 7cm end of fabric and sew a hem. you need to do this at both ends. One end does not have to be neat as it will be hidden, but the other end will be visible so it needs to be tidier.


Step 2: Fold your fabric along the length as shown below and sew in place. Leave a 3cm gap at the end with your neat hem, this is for your flap later on. I should also note that the neat hem should be on the UNDERSIDE at this point.

Step 3: Using your untidy hem as a guide, make a small snip on either side of the flap.

Step 4: Turn the whole snuggie over and fold and sew a hem where the snips were made.

Step 5: Turn the snuggie out.

Step 6: Push the flap through the keyring and add a few stitches to secure in place.

Step 7: Sew on your popper. Once half onto the underside of the flap, and the other half on the body of the snuggie.

Step 8: This is the optional part, and it all depends on whether or not you are bothered by this:

It's the stitches showing through from the popper. Personally, because this will be the visible side, this irked me. So Step 8 is to simply sew a button on to hide it if you so choose.

And it's all ready for my chapstick to snuggle into.


Ready to pop onto my keys, never to be forgotten again. And, since I clip my keys onto the inside of my bag, it will always be in reach when I need it.


Total cost: £0.00
Total time spent: around 30 minutes. It would take seconds to whizz through the sewing machine, but as I would have needed to hand stitch on the button and popper anyway, I decided to take my time and relax with a little sewing.

Before I go, I need to apologise for a problem I have noticed occurring in my photograph as of late. I don't know if it's because I do all of my projects in the evening, therefore using poor light, or if maybe my shutters are misaligned; but lately I've noticed a small, dark area in the bottom right of most of my photos. As I've said, I don't know what's doing this, but as I love and adore my camera it is most definitely an issue I plan to look into and hopefully correct. Until then, I hope it doesn't affect my pictures too badly. Happy Stitching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment