Tuesday 19 February 2013

DIY Simple Belt Extension

I wear very few accessories; the only thing that I have a passion for really is sunglasses. Just lately though, I've developed a love of belts. Being a curvy woman, I find that belts are essential to bringing in my waist. Even when belts have surpassed their time, I still find other uses for them (they make wonderful bag straps, for example). Even though I am a big lass, I wasn't always this way and, as a result, I have loads of belts from when I was smaller that simply won't go around my middle anymore. So, what do you do when a belt no longer fits? Throw it out? Heck no!

You will need: Your too-small belt, a length of ribbon (I used 1metre, brought after christmas for 35p, score!), scissors, and a sharp knife. You could also use some chalk if you wanted to mark out the lines before you make the cuts.


Step 1: Decide what part of the belt you want to keep (for me, it was the studded part), and cut off the rest. At the very lest, cut off the buckle from one end and the buckle holes from the other.


Step 2: Using the knife, make a small slit in both ends of the belt, thread the ribbon through.





I had some "help" with this project.


All done. It really is that simple. Just tie the ribbon in a bow behind your back to wear the belt.




The beauty of this project is that you can change the ribbon at any point to match the colour to your outfit.

Total cost: 35p
Total time spent: 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment