Friday 18 January 2013

Brrrr!

I do not manage well with the cold. I shiver, I ache, and I complain. A LOT. When it's cold outside, the best thing for all concerned is for me to stay in and if I absolutely HAVE to go out, I need to wrap up warm. So, when I opened my curtains this morning and was faced with this...




it was clear that I had to find something to do indoors; and what better thing to do than make something that puts a smile on my face on those snowy winter mornings. That's when I remembered this:



I tried it on when I was out shopping with my Mum (I take pictures of things I like and think I can make for cheaper). The hat was £10, and it instantly make me think of a scarf that my sister gave to me when she was throwing things out (I always get first dibs before something gets tossed).

So, time to gather my supplies.



All I needed was the scarf, scissors, measuring tape, needle and thread (not pictured). Pictured here is
tailors chalk, but I ended up using a marker pen because it was easier to see.

Step one: I measured around my head, and marked the scarf at the same length:


I decided to cut off both ends of the scarf as they were slightly rounded and use the middle bit to go around my head.

Step two: I sewed the two end pieces together to form the top of the hat:



Step three: I sewed the long bit around the full perimeter of the top and joined up all of the seams:



I did all of my work inside out, and, to be frank, it didn't look pretty!


Until I turned it out that is!


All done:


That's a saving of £10 thank you very much!

Total cost:£0.00
Total time spent: Around 4 hours - due to all the fluff which forced me to sew everything by hand. It may look pretty but it's evil to work with!







No comments:

Post a Comment