Monday 7 January 2013

Before and After - Dress to skirt

I bet I'm not the only one who has one of these things lurking over me. You know what I'm talking about; it's the dress. THE dress. That's right, the one that you take out of the wardrobe every time you are getting ready to go out, put it on, look in the mirror, and then immediately take it off again. But yet, you keep it around. You loathe to let it go because you loved it once and there is still something that you like about it. For me, it's a blue one that I adored when I first had it, but now wearing it makes me feel top heavy and not entirely unlike a medieval serving wench. Here is the dress in question:


As you can see, I'm naturally a curvy girl, especially up top, and the last thing I need is a dress which exaggerates that!
So, I thought long and hard about this dress, and the solution seemed obvious, if you have a dress that you don't like, and the problem is the top half, why not simply chop it off and turn it into a skirt; So that's exactly what I did.

Before I continue, I should note the beautiful flower on the bust of this dress.


Originally, there were three of these and over time the other two fell off, BUT, when that happened I did save them. I had always intended to sew them back on at some point, but for now I'll just save them. I'm sure you will see them again at some point in the future.

Anyway, on with the project. All it took was a simple cut and hem. I'm lucky enough that with this dress there was elastic running through it, so I used  that as my waistline and it saves me any fiddly jobs like adding zippers or buttons.



And voila! The deed is done! Styled up with a simple black top and a statement belt in a contrasting colour and I'm happy with this new additon to my wardrobe.


Total cost: £0.00
Total time spent: 30mins









1 comment: